Above: John Cruz from Rise discusses housing cost burden in the Winstanley Neighborhood.
Thursday, February 7, 2019 from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., the third community workshop took place at Mount Sinai Baptist Church 1200 Saint Louis Ave, 62201. Community members were provided information on the Winstanley Plan website and were given a survey to gather more data on the communities housing needs.
John Cruz, Data Coordinator for Rise, provided a detailed overview of housing information in the planning area. In the workshop session, steering committee member Antwoinette Ayers co-facilitated with Brian Hurd Technical Assistance Program Manager to gather information on community strategies for a better neighborhood.
The workshop session engaged the community and many of the members in attendance were very vocal and provided valuable insight on solutions for a revitalized and sustainable community. Community responses to prompts are listed below.
What community development strategies do you think will be the most impactful initially and help create additional opportunities?
- Better Union Relationships
- Improving Communication for Job Connectors
- Business to Attract Local Residents
- Transitional Life Skills Training
- Clearinghouse of Businesses
- Chamber of Commerce
- Job Fair
- Create a Network Connection for Jobs
- Resource Center
With the current state of the community, what small business do you see as the most important to your community?
- Hardware Store
- Bowling Alley/Movie Theater
- Office Center
- Healthy Food Options/Sit Down Restaurants
What financial tools and social services are most needed to assist in revitalizing and stabilizing your community?
- Business Incubator Business Development for Startups/Technical Assistance
- Credit Union/Financial Capability
- Mobile Bank
- Reconstructed/Rehab Business Structure
- Mobile Library/Resource Center
- Mobile Fresh Food Market
What do you consider the most impactful projects for revitalization/stabilization?
- Police/Fire Department
- Hospital/Trauma Unit/Urgent Care
- Housing Development
- Trauma Inform Community